This is intended to be a general overview of the biggest features/improvements we are working on at the moment.
- This page does not list minor features (for that, see Pitivi Love).
- This page only describes future items.
- The fact that something is listed here does not necessarily mean that someone is currently working on it; it means that it is considered an important feature that we would like to have. Help is very appreciated in reaching those goals faster!
- For short-term release plans, see the calendar instead (iCal or HTML)
What keeps us busy in general?
- Fixing bugs. Improving reliability and ease of use is never "done". We have tons of work. Help is very welcome!
- Improving GStreamer. This benefits not only Pitivi, but other multimedia applications as well.
- Working on major features: Until we reach 1.0, only if they improve stability.
Any time estimates here are mostly wild guesses. Do not treat them as hard deadlines. This aims mostly at giving an idea of how milestones follow each other.
- 2016 Q2: release 0.96 with a focus on stabilization and accuracy through proxy files
- 2016 Q4 or 2017 Q2: release 1.0 with ponies and rainbows
See Current events for past items.
Major features (in no particular order)
Motion ramping/time stretching
- Status: started
- See T2344
Remake the clip geometric transformation tool
- Status: started
- The transformation box functionality is already available.
- See T3523 for the UI progress.
- We need to create custom ("hand-made") interfaces for some effects so that they can be easier to use. See T3263
Advanced layer management
- See T2642
A better title editor
- The current title editor UI is very simple. Please join us to make it work up to your expectations! See the existing title editor tasks.
- Digital asset management is the ability to manage huge amounts of media (video clips, sounds, images, etc.). This feature is very much needed for professional editing; it allows handling multiple simultaneous camera angles, multiple takes of the same scene, multiple sound sources, etc.
- Potentially being addressed by the Novacut team with dmedia
Hardware-accelerated decoding and encoding
- Since GStreamer 1.2, the basic infrastructure allowing us to cleanly take advantage of the video decoding capabilities of modern graphic cards is there. We need to ensure that our planned usecases are properly supported with the most common graphic drivers (through VA-API) and to make the integration work in Pitivi.