0.94 Release "Tricks or Tracebacks?"
The Pitivi team is proud to announce the fourth release of the new version of Pitivi based on GES, the GStreamer Editing Services library. This is mostly a incremental bugfixing release, so make sure to see the 0.91, 0.92 and 0.93 release notes to get the full picture.
This is considered a beta release. As per the feedback we've received since 0.91 and the many fixes we've made since then, we are confident that the new release series is of much higher quality than the 0.15 series and older.
This release works well for us and we make nice movies with it. Try it out, have fun and report detailed bugs for issues you may encounter!
Changes and fixed bugs
- The main toolbar and menubar have been replaced by a headerbar and menubutton, saving a significant amount of precious vertical space and using the horizontal space better.
- The viewer has been ported to use a GStreamer GL video output sink instead of the Clutter sink. This solves crashes when running Pitivi outside of GNOME Shell and is expected to be a more future-proof solution.
- We dropped our use of CoGL APIs, namely path_round_rectangle which caused crashes on various Linux distributions shipping a broken version of CoGL
- Pitivi has been ported to Python 3
- Text wrapping in the rendering progress dialog and title editor has been fixed
- Effects can now be reordered within a clip's properties
- The default positioning of UI components (when starting from a fresh install) has been improved to be balanced properly
- Undocked window components do not shift position on startup anymore
- Docked window components do not shift position on startup anymore, when the window is not maximized. When the window is maximized, the issue remains (your help to investigate this problem is very much welcome, see bug 723061)
- The title editor's UI has been simplified, and now supports decimal font sizes
- Educational infobars throughout the UI have been tweaked to make their colors less intrusive
- Various issues have been corrected regarding:
- Drag and drop in the media library
- Audio waveforms
- The user manual is now up to date with the state of the new Pitivi series
- Pitivi has been ported to GtkApplication, allowing us to remove a lot of old code.
- Port deprecated GTK+ widgets to new ones
- Timeline UI animations have been tweaked
- Code refactoring and cleanup all over the place
- Various build and packaging fixes
- Various fixes to the test suite
- Translations have been updated
See the list of reported bugs that have been resolved in 0.94.
Since the 0.93 release, 240 commits were made across 159 files. Here is a summary of some noteworthy commits:
8f252a4 viewer: Do not call the expose function when we set the aspect ratio 2846425 viewer: Do not forget to set ViewerWidget sink when setting our pipeline c6b12b7 Show an error dialog when encountering Unicode decoding errors/broken locales 8776f73 clipmediaprops: Handle potentially broken framerates such as 1000 fps 10d82cd pitivi: Remove our hard dependency to GdkX11 4ef394b timeline: Fix dragging of second clip from the media library to the timeline b019640 Make the title editor's infobar more compact to avoid excessive wrapping f0d8f4f Make the "User Manual" menu item work in the main MenuButton 4c6e137 Fix the text wrapping in the rendering progress dialog 8bc597f effects: Allow reordering the effects of a clip ba5a7a8 timeline: Fix effects dragged onto clips d9e89f8 effects: Display the human names in the list of effects of a clip b054f9f clipproperties: Disable sorting of the clip's effects e4702c5 clipproperties: Fix effects tooltips 374aa64 mainwindow: Better default placement for panes 279b6ed previewers: Avoid removing sources already running a1985ae previewers: Always set lastUpdate when computing geometry ae0ef1f video previewer: remove unused self._callback_id 67b9d5c previewers: Fix initial value of AudioPreviewer.lastUpdate fb3f3da timeline: Get rid of some clip animations 9e39466 project: Fix setting of restriction caps values e34bbfe Set emblem-system-symbolic for menu icon before gtk 3.13 c671383 render: Play the rendered file without blocking the UI 860d904 timeline: make sure not to set a negative size on elements. 89a9349 Change some infobars to be more discrete af65ef5 elements: Don't use Cogl anymore. c4c11de elements: Don't use path_round_rectangle. 9d171bf Use Gio.SimpleActions to handle global app keyboard events f7e23b0 Make Pitivi a GtkApplication d48a39c mainwindow: Replace the menubar and main toolbar by HeaderBar and MenuButton 2696f41 Port Pitivi to Python 3 4c09ca6 mainwindow: Fix main window's panes shifting position 6e894d8 tabsmanager: Fix utility windows' shifting behaviour
In this release:
- We have dropped the dependency on ClutterGst
- We now depend on GStreamer 1.4
- We now depend on GTK+ 3.10
Generally speaking, you can refer to Pitivi's check.py for the dependencies' versions specific to a given release. See also dependencies for additional tips.
- Layer management interface is missing features.
- The title editor UI is still quite primitive. Please join us to make it work up to your expectations! See the existing title editor bugs.
- The transformation box reimplementation is still ongoing (see bug 708495).
- Translations are not all fully up to date.
- The automated codecs installer is (still) broken. See bug 686182 and GES bug 686181.
- The automatic clip aligner feature does not work. We need someone to port it to use our new audio waveforms processing module.
- No dialog to install missing codecs after discovering clips, and no error gets raised in that case. This means that the clip will "appear" to have imported correctly, but if you try inserting it into the timeline you may get errors in the background or Pitivi's UI may hang.
Contributors for this release
94 Alexandru Băluț 33 Tomas Karger 24 Thibault Saunier 22 Jean-François Fortin Tam 20 Lubosz Sarnecki 8 Mathieu Duponchelle 5 Marek Černocký 5 Piotr Drąg 2 Alexandre Franke 2 Daniel Mustieles 2 Dušan Kazik 2 Fabian Orccon 2 Georges Basile Stavracas Neto 2 Ken MacLeod 2 Milagros Alessandra Infante Montero 2 Мирослав Николић 1 Alexandre Prokoudine 1 Aurimas Černius 1 Balázs Úr 1 Bernd Homuth 1 Brion Vibber 1 Cheng-Chia Tseng 1 Dimitris Spingos 1 Dominique Leuenberger 1 Lasse Liehu 1 Martin Srebotnjak 1 Rafael Ferreira 1 Tom Tryfonidis 1 Yuri Myasoedov
53 Thibault Saunier 15 Mathieu Duponchelle 5 Edward Hervey 5 Lubosz Sarnecki 4 Sebastian Dröge 3 Tim-Philipp Müller 2 Christoph Reiter 1 Alexandru Băluț 1 Lazar Claudiu 1 Vincent Penquerc'h
Download, additional information and feedback
A tarball is available on https://download.gnome.org/sources/pitivi/0.94/
A bundle usable on any linux distribution is avalaible at:
* 64 bits platforms: http://pitivi.ecchi.ca/bundles/releases/pitivi-0.94-beta-x86_64.tar * 32 bits platforms: http://pitivi.ecchi.ca/bundles/releases/pitivi-0.94-beta-x86.tar
Feedback is welcome. See bug reporting for tips and tricks.